Have Eyelid Puffiness and Under Eye Bags? Try the Lower Eyelid Lift
Are you tired of having aged puffy eyes with highly visible bags that appear underneath? If so, a lower eyelid lift can help solve your problems. The procedure can help make tired eyes look sharp, alluring, and enigmatic.
There are many factors that contribute to the development of eye bags. Of the many, the most common culprits are:
- Faulty Eye Lid Support: In most cases, bags under the eyes are caused by failed lower eyelid support. When corrected, the eyes appear bright and engaging.
- Inelastic Skin: Aging skin lacks optimal elasticity. A lack of elasticity can lead to sagging skin near the eyes.
- Puffy Eyes: Most of us attribute bags under the eyes to being tired or a result of an allergic reaction. Bags are persistent and are caused by the accumulation of fat deposits. This fat collecting under the lower lid is known as orbital fat. Removing fat from this region or repositioning it improves the appearance of puffy eyes.
Techniques Used in Lower Eyelid Surgery
Although there may be different approaches to an eyelid surgery, the primary objective of the procedure is to remove orbital fat and excess sagging skin. A lower eyelid lift is either done through the transcutaneous or transconjunctival approach.
The Transcutaneous Approach
Incisions made in the transcutaneous approach of a lower blepharoplasty is along the water line. This is the approach of choice when there is excess sagging skin. The main advantage of this method of incision is that the resulting post-surgical mark is masked by the water line, making it practically invisible.
The Transconjunctival Approach
With this technique, the incision is made within the lower eye lid. The transconjunctival approach should only performed by doctors who specialize in blepharoplasty, and you should make sure you are working with an experienced plastic surgeon before undergoing the procedure.
The biggest advantage offered by this type of incision is that there are no visible post-surgical marks. Post-surgery, the shape of the eye is better retained as there is no damage done to the orbicularis oculi muscle, which is responsible for closing the eye lid.
Is a Lower Eyelid Lift Right For You?
Lower Eye lid surgery is suitable for those who:
- Look tired due to consistent bags under the eyes
- Are in good general health
- Have excess skin around the eye
- Find it difficult to apply eye makeup
Benefits of Lower Eye Lid Blepharoplasty
The biggest benefit of lower eye lid surgery is permanent removal of puffiness and eye bags. The presence of these bags makes a healthy person look fatigued and sleepy even when they are in the best of health and wide awake. Additionally, lower eye lid surgery is also effective in addressing dark circles. After the procedure, you will appear more energized and refreshed.
Recovery from Lower Eye Lid Surgery
When the procedure is completed, you may notice slight bruising and swelling, but it will subside quickly. Your surgeon will provide specific instructions and tips on how to care for yourself after the procedure. You will be able to resume your normal activities in about a week.
Contact Our Office
To learn more about the procedure, contact the Plastic Surgery Institute of Dayton to set up a consultation. Our surgeons are highly skilled and ready to assist you from start to finish.